Monday 30 November 2009

Just how inclusive are we?


I have to say that this is something that fascinates me with our current society. We have this need to label EVERYTHING – personally I think it is our way of making things easier to handle. In our growing multicultural society why is it that we still find it acceptable to place these labels? Especially in Britain there is this concept of being politically correct, I believe the new PC term for disability is ‘special need’ however when I asked others with impairment which term they preferred the common feeling was that ‘special need’ was more derogatory than disability or impaired !

There is plenty of ‘pro disability’ legislation about however its key focus is often on the built environment and does nothing to address the true route of the problem in society’s attitudes. So are we really an inclusive society or do we just like to pretend that we are!?

2 comments:

The Wildwood said...

I think you are right Miss I....we have to label everything and everyone don't we? I just don't think it makes it any more correct that a sack of nuts!

insights-and-aspirations said...

ha ha what a wonderful way of saying it ! I suppose the next question is what do you do to address it !?