Thursday 18 February 2010

The tactile factor

As young children we all have something material which we carry around with us whether it is in the form of a security blanket, a favourite teddy or item of clothing there is always something which we find comforting to smell or touch.

I have noticed when I get nervous or anxious about a situation I tend to sit and play with my hands or stroke an area of my clothing such as a sleeve or end of a scarf. If I know I have a rough day ahead of me I have found that I deliberately pick out soft clothing for me to sit and play with. This has become almost like a form of security blanket for me and I am quite interested to see if anyone else does the same!? I find it quite interesting to see if the tactile aspect of the brace can be comforting emotionally in the same way a ‘blankie’ is for a young child.

In particular I am looking to explore how this can be incorporated into the design of the back brace so that there is material panelling or some form of pocketing where keepsakes or items with a comforting purpose can be kept.

No comments: