Tuesday 23 March 2010

The importance of a good mannequin !

I have been using Doris/Gladis quite a lot recently not only to use to visualise 3d sketches with paper but to also mould with for the plastic prototyping.

I rely on a mannequin quite a lot for the development process. As a result it has also been very important to me that I get a realistic idea of shapes and sizes which is why Doris and Gladis have been so hard to find.

Their measurements are near enough anatomically correct which is an achievement in itself. So many mannequins now have unrealistic body shapes which would distort the design too much if I were to use any mannequin I could find. It has to be remembered they are predominantly used to hang clothes on and so are altered in any to best display the product. What I find interesting is the comparison between the new mannequins you see in Top Shop’s front window and one you find in your mums attic (or an art school). It is a scary reality of the impact of the size 0 fashion trend.

Another important factor was the posture of the mannequin. You may think this is irrelevant as they are all straight backed, however many have over exaggerated posture such as rotated hips which result in an extenuated curve of the lower spine rendering it useless for back brace design where the function of the product demands a ‘tucked in’ tail bone and spinal stabilisation.

Just something which I thought I should explain so you understood my obsession with Doris and Gladis

No comments: